Sunday 22 November 2009

I adore the internet. Without it my life would be totally different and, probably, a lot harder. I know this because of the amount of time I spend using it and the frequency I quickly use my iPhone or laptop to check something out. Each to their own - some people aren't fussed, which is fair. However, you're missing out on the following websites which can enrich your life.

1. Walk Jog Run

Using Walk Jog Run, you can map your running route before or after you've done it and precisely map your distances. Not only that, you can see suggested routes from other members in your area taking into account the terrain and ease of the run. Knowing where you need to go before setting out can make your run painless. Fair enough if you know your patch like the back of your had, but if you're like me and move every couple of years this site can really help.

2. TED

TED was introduced to me through a friend, and it is totally amazing for the inner-geek in you. If you're interested in innovation, the scope of the human race, the advancement of intellectual ideas or generally what's going on at the cutting edge of global research...click on the link immediately. The format is basically a library of short talks, ranging from 5 minutes to half an hour on a broad range of topics. Some are bound to bore you, and I don't pretend to have browsed every area, but I would be shocked if nothing appeals to you.

3. BBC iPlayer

OK, hardly the world's best kept secret, but a great website that most of the other channels have copied in some form. You can watch anything from the last two weeks that you've missed or forgotten to record. Winner.

4. Jamie Oliver Online

I'm not Jamie Oliver's biggest fan, but I like the format of his online recipes. They seem pretty easy to follow and they don't use ridiculous ingredients that some people like to show off with. If I have to go further than my local supermarket for most of them I just won't bother. My search for tahini the first time I made houmous was absurd. Ironically, it was actually stocked at my local supermarket, but I couldn't find it. Nevertheless, Jamie's website is pretty good and has some interactive features to liven up the idea of cooking rather just a list of vague instructions.

5. TimesOnline

Not the most rapid when it comes to breaking news, but TimesOnline does offer a nice commentary you wouldn't find on the more tabloid Sky News. Every morning I log on at work and check the FT online and various trade websites for headlines, before logging on to TimesOnline to get some genuine content. I like papers, and will always buy a Sunday Paper, but they essentially are telling me yesterdays news when I want to know what's happening today. TimesOnline beats its paper counterpart hands down.

No comments: