Sunday 30 August 2009

The more weight I lose the more interested I am in clothes again. When overweight, not only do you find clothes harder to buy, but personally I just couldn't motivate myself to splash out on stylish stuff when, essentially, I'd just look like a fat guy in nice clothes. That sounds quite superficial and crushing, but really it's true.

Think how excited I was when the 1980s trend came back round; broad shouldered jackets, big sunglasses, listening to Duran Duran on your iPod finally acceptable. Now imagine how distraught I was when perusing the new Reiss collection for this Autumn/Winter. Tones of 1980s with a twist, apparently the broad shouldered look has evolved to "Carrot Shaped". I'm no veg expert, but I wouldn't say I'm a carrot. Possibly a turnip, on a bad day an aubergine. Where's this carrot fad come from? More stick thin guys wearing skinny jeans and waistcoats. Great.

In fairness some of the stuff looks pretty good, they finally have a tweed jacket in their collection which I've been looking out for for a couple of years. I have a soft-spot for Reiss as I used to work there and know how good some of the lines are. Maybe I'll ask them to show me the turnip collection.

No comments: